Thursday, December 11, 2014

Nerdicus SNES Review #52: Captain Commando



Title : Captain Commando

Publisher : Capcom

Developer : Capcom

Genre : Beat 'em Up

Players : 1 / 2 Players

Release Date : 1995

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $85-$90

Sometimes I think companies get a bit lazy with coming up with titles for their games. And when this is coming from Capcom, I think they deserve a little bit of a slap on the wrist! Captain Commando? Really? Why not just call the game General Sergeant, or Ambassador Politician..I don't know. Captain Commando just sounds like a really bad name for a super hero.

Well, I guess that's what he is so I really can't complain much now can I? I must say however, I am quite disappointed with the box art that was given to the Super Nintendo. After all, the advertisements were designed much better and had more of a comic book feel. Not trying to insult the artist for the box art, but it just didn't sit right with me for some reason.

Surprisingly enough, Captan Commando was actually mean to be a spokesperson for Capcom in the late 80's and early 90's for their video games. That didn't really last though, but he did make an appearance in the Marvel vs Capcom games. But I have to say some of the other characters that starred in this game were pretty damn bad ass. More on them as we get into the game.
Try to think of this game as a spin off of Final Fight, with super-hero styled characters and a more comic book feel. It's definitely catering to the more laid back audience with a hint of Capcom-finesse character designs that can be found in games like Mega Man. Now, I never managed to play this game in the Arcades, and I hear it was four player in that version. How I WISH I could play the SNES version with four players, but two players will have to do. Unfortunately, I have no friends available at this moment, so I'll be stuck with a solo run.

And to keep it simple...I'll play as the titular CAPTAIN COMMANDO.


The thing I loved most about Captain Commando, is by far the insane character selection. We're not talking beefy cops, or martial artists. We're talking true-grit super heroes, and you can't even get more campy than these guys. They put Marvel and DC heroes to shame! Just check these bad-asses out.

Captain Commando, acting leader of the Commando Team, with his energy gloves is capable of dishing out quick and powerful attacks...that all start with the word Captain...I'm talking Captain Cannon, Captain Collider, Captain Cuddlemonkey. You know what he reminds me of? CAPTAIN FALCO! FALCO PUUUUUUUUUUNCH!!!

Up next, we've got Mack the Knife. Loved that old song from the 50's (I think?). This mummy-from-space knife wielder, is a bit quicker than Captain Commando but his attacks aren't as strong. Still the combos you are able to rack up with him are absolutely insane.

Just when you think it couldn't get much better, we move on to Ginzu the Ninja. Come on, it's a ninja. You can't go wrong with ninjas. Smoke bombs, throwing stars, soaring through the air and slicing through enemies with your Katana. It's a surprise I was able to resist not playing through as this guy.

Finally, we have Baby Head. Yup, baby head. It's basically Stewie from Family Guy. It's an infant controlling a massive battle-robot of his own design. Baby Head is a freaking riot. His attacks consist anywhere of rocket-blasting fits, to flying across the screen with your metallic knee jabbing right up into the groins of your enemies. Priceless.


In terms of game play, it's just like any other beat ' em up, and is seriously almost EXACTLY like Final Fight, besides the different character and enemy designs. You move from left to right, defeating enemies and collecting weapons and power ups as you go. At least you get a variety of weapons to choose from, including melee weapons and ranged weapons, which some are restricted to depending on the character you're playing as.

You'll continue beating the crap out of people until you get to the end of the level where you fight a good 'ol fashioned boss. There's nine stages in this bad boy, and they will all test your combat abilities and your quick reflexes. But don't worry, with the sheer amount of combos at your disposal with each character, you shouldn't have that too hard of a time.

One of the best additions to this game, which is somewhat reminiscent of Golden Axe, is the ability to ride various robots that make their appearance on the levels. Most enemies come in riding on their robots, but if you knock 'em off their mounts, you can jump on yourself and take control. There's three different type of robots at your disposal; a hand-to-hand robot, a flame thrower robot, and a ice ray robot. Man, I wish I was just riding the robots at all times, but of course, get hit too many times and they explode.


I said this earlier, but I definitely enjoyed the design of the levels, characters, and enemies in this game. I was always into the more "sci-fi / fantasy-esque" themed games, so a beat 'em up involving creatively designed super heroes was definitely my cup of tea. It even felt like a step up from Final Fight, depending on what system you played this for. Really wish I saw how this game appeared in the arcades, so I'll have to go digging for one.

In terms of controls, I was pleasantly surprised as to how fluid they were. Even using a SNES controller, I was able to pull off moves that were typically easier using a joystick at an arcade. Never did I feel as if I was moving too slowly, or my commands weren't being registered. Have to say, they did a great job of porting this over.

All in all, this is one of those beat 'em ups that while hard to find, and not as well known as you may think, is one that shouldn't be passed up. Especially if you're a fan of the Final Fight series and Capcom in general, it deserves to get a playthrough. And let's not forget the awesome character selections. Grab a friend, and go kick some ass..CAPTAIN COMMANDDOOOOO!!!!
Final Score (out of 5) :


Until next time, keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment