Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Nerdicus NES Review #27 : Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends



Title : Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends

Publisher : THQ

Release Date : 1992

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $10-13

I watched cartoons as if it were my job when I was a kid. I would wake up early every morning, run downstairs and flip on the television just so I could watch as much as possible before the rest of my family woke up to join in on the TV time. 

You name it, I had to watch it.  Especially the classics. And I'm talking the all-time greats Scooby Doo, Justice League. Anything Hanna Barabera or Warner Brothers. 




There was one exception, and that was Rocky and Bullwinkle. Never really cared for the Canadian Moose, or that pain in the arse flying squirrel. So how did I feel about playing a game on a cartoon I really cared nothing about? Uh, not so good. Especially when the game turns out to be something like this.


Is it me, or does that look like its from a coloring book? Or  maybe something from a 1980's PC game. UGH just forget the title screen and move on to the game. But what happened to AND FRIENDS? There aren't any friends anymore? Well, you don't see them that much. Most of the times you see the other characters in mini games though, and they're just as poorly designed as some of the other mechanics throughout this game.

You jump around from one flatly designed level to the next, picking up bombs, defeating Boris, Natasha, and Fearless Leader, collecting keys, and just moving on. Trust me when I say you'll want to rush through each stage as quickly as possible. It's bad enough that the levels look like they were created in MS PAINT, but the music is atrocious.

A bunch of senseless bleeps and bloops. Reminds me of Atari music.



Like most platformer games on the NES, this game also had the issue where it felt like Bullwinkle was sliding on ice regardless of where he was. It was PAINSTAKING just to jump from one ledge to the next. Not to mention sliding off a spot where something is that you have to collect, only to spend another 5 mins carefully making your way back up. Because you don't just pick up things in this game. You ACTUALLY have to BEND OVER and pick it up.

I hate that in games. I really do. Just let me walk over the item to collect it. I don't need to waste time controlling my character to pick up an item. JUST PICK IT UP!



This was one of those games folks. One of those games that I couldn't even deal with the torment to play through it. By the time I got up to the third level I was done. I had been through enough already. My ears are still ringing from that music. The horrendous visuals will plague my brain forever.

Stay away. I urge you. Please. Stay. AWAY.


Do what Rocky is doing. RUN! Or Fly. Whatever that rat is doing. GET OUT OF THERE!

Final Score (out of 5) :





Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment