Monday, December 9, 2013

Nerdicus NES Review #34 : Alfred Chicken



Title : Alfred Chicken

Publisher :  Mindscape Sunsoft

Genre : Platformer

Players : 1 Player

Release Date : 1994

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $20-$30

So, yeah. Um.......where do I begin. Oh, okay. So the title is Alfred Chicken. Yup, uh.......basically.....erm. Let's see how do I say this? This game has to be the result of publishers being high out of their minds while developing a game. First of all, this came out in 1994 for the NES which is already way past the NES lifespan. Secondly, it's not like this is based off a cartoon or anything. Although I don't even know if I would watch a cartoon like this. This was just some cockeyed disturbed mascot attempt. It's not funny, and it's not fun. 



Alfred Chicken, what have you been smoking?


As you probably guessed, you play as Alfred Chicken popping balloons through each Wonderland-esque level. You know, levels made out of cheese with wind up mice for one thing. Normal enough right? 

Anyway, while you're walking around on the ground you can peck things. I mean you are a chicken, and that's what chickens do. But, you can also fly and dive bomb enemies from above. Because that's what chickens do too. Although I thought chickens can't fly? Gotta be careful though, because in this game it's one hit deaths for you. Then you just end up exploding into a pile of feathers and hatching back at the last balloon you popped. Smash all the balloons in the level and you move on to some fairly easy boss fights. Nothing too challenging, and each one is fairly easy to figure out the pattern with.

Now you do get some power ups along the way such as some bombs or a whirly worm. Both just as odd as the game itself. Just trust me - this game is the epitome of bizarre.


There's not much to say about this game. It's incredibly short, and it play's like a cheaply designed and quickly made platformer. It's not horrible by any means, it just confuses the hell out of me. but I just can't understand where the heck they were going with this game. Maybe this game needs to be played under different conditions, if you get my drift. 

By all means, give it a whirl if you're looking to be disturbed. Just beware the letter blocks of doom! A chicken's worst nightmare.


Now I'm wondering how the other ports for this game are on SNES and Gameboy. Maybe I should play those too? Nah.....

But I do want my free poster according to the box. Wonder if it's worth anything.

Final Score (out of 5) :




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment