Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review # 51 : Aussie Rules Footy



Title : Aussie Rules Footy

Publisher : Mattel

Genre : Sports

Players : 1 / 2 Players

Release Date : 1991

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $??????

This one is going to be a quicky for a few reasons. 1) It's a sports games, and you guys know how I feel about sports games. 2) This was only released in Australia, so I shouldn't even be doing this. BUT I have a few Aussie friends, so why not. 3) It's Rugby.....I DO NOT..UNDERSTAND...RUGBY.  All I know is that the players leave bruised and bloody. This is the craziest sport I've ever seen. Seriously, have you ever watched a game? It's insane.



Anyway, is the NES able to bring the blood sport to the home console? Ermm......


So you can choose from 14 of the AFL teams based in Australia. Now I don't know anything about Australian teams so I just ended up picking up Sydney, because it's one of the few locations I know of. Sad, right? Then you get to pick your color and your opponent. I picked Melbourne...well, because of the same reason.

And then, the game starts.

Oh....my...God.....

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING. You know how some sports games, you just don't know the controls? Well, I don't know the controls OR the rules. So it's double trouble.


So, from playing I learned that you score one point for kicking the ball into the goal, and 6 pts for running the ball into it. Hell, I think that's what happened. Half the time I was just trying to bum rush past the opponent. After playing for roughly 10 mins, I managed to score 2 pts. Accidentally mind you. Meanwhile, the opponent absolutely destroyed me.

Well, what can I say? I had no idea what I was doing. I could never get hang of the controls even after I understood the basics of the rules. The computer always seemed to know exactly where my ball was landing, so getting off a pass was impossible. Not to mention, the players moved at a snails pace. 

One awesome thing - the referee looked like a gangster in a nice white suit and top hat. Check it out. So, if you're a fan of Rugby, check it out. If not, well, you're not missing out on much.


Final Score (out of 5) :




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment