Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review #74 : Batman Return of the Joker


Title :  Batman Return of the Joke

Publisher : Sunsoft

Genre : Platformer / Action

Players : 1 Player

Release Date : 1991

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $7-$9

So after playing through the Batman Returns game by Konami, my faith waned a little bit that I'll find another decent Batman game on the NES. So I turned back to Sunsoft, hoping that Batman Return of the Joker would fit the bill. This was a more direct sequel of the original Sunsoft classic. The formula remains the same, and this is how it should be. After all, if it 'aint broke don't fix it.

But somehow, they broke it.



The game takes place right after the first one, and while it doesn't follow any movie story line, it still provides a unique take on the Batman mythos. The Joker has escaped Arkham Asylum, and now sends out his goons all across Gotham in order to enact revenge against Batman..I can hear it now.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO KILL ME?!!??! (in my best Christian Bale as Batman voice)

Ahem - anyway. Let's get back to it. More tricky jumps, more heartless enemies and cruel boss fights. I give you Batman, Return of the Joker.


Cue the creepy music. Gotta love the soundtrack in this game. Dramatic and emotional. I really need to write a blog post about how video game music really makes or breaks a game. Unfortunately, that's one of the only things this game has got going for it.

Graphics are a step up from the original, but something's different. The game play just doesn't feel the same as it used to in the original. There are way too many power ups, something that wasn't as common in the first game. I mean, I really had to manage my inventory. There are no more wall jumps.....what the hell!?!?!? And the enemies are even cheaper than the last time. They seem to hit you before you can even see them.


Batman moves incredibly slow in this game. I mean he was slow in the first one, but he's covered in molasses in this one. Even after you get hit, you just stand there for a second or so, flashing away in multiple colors. Fun....

Going back to the enemies, they're annoying as hell. And boss fights are even more difficult than the last game. Even though you have a slew of power ups at your disposal, it doesn't make things that much easier.
OH...unless you turn into MEGA BATMAN.

Yeah, that's right...MEGA BATMAN....that did it for me....I'm done.



Do you know what the game reminds me of? It reminds me of the same step back that Castlevania 2 took. While I didn't hate the game, it was just an example of how a game company decides to do too much with a game rather than just keep it simple.

It's a shame too, becuase Sunsoft really had a strong game series on its hands.

Final Score (out of 5) :




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

1 comment: