Monday, November 24, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review #153: Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat


Title : Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat

Publisher : Tradewest

Developer : Rare

Genre : Racing

Players : 1-4 Players

Release Date : 1992

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $12-$15

Happy Monday, everybody! I apologize that I have to start things off this week with a racing game that I can really give two licks about. I don't even have the slightest clue who Danny Sullivan is, and I hate Indy racing. I've said it before in previous reviews, but racing to me is one of the most incredibly boring "sports" in existence. At least Indy racing has twists and turns, and isn't like Daytona where you just ride around in a circle for seventeen hours.

So, how about I make this review nice and quick and painless? Wait, you know what would be great? If they made a racing game where you purposefully have to wreck the cars. After all, isn't that why people go to these stupid races?

Kind of disturbing, don't you think? That most people attend the races for the chance of seeing someone slam into a wall and get permanently injured, possibly die? You people are sick! SICK I TELL YOU!!! THIS IS A NINTENDO GAME! YOU WILL FIND NO SUCH THING HERE!



Yeah, that's not a creepy looking face or anything. What's with his skeletal eye sockets? Are those supposed to be glasses? I do like how he has his name DANNY emblazoned across his helmet. You know, just in case he crashes his car, and he forgets who he is all he has to do is look at his helmet and he'll go "Oh, guess I'm Danny! Problem solved! DERP."

As you jump into the game, the first thing you'll notice is that you'll have the opportunity to play with four players in this game. Now this deserves major props. I always loved when NES game snagged the opportunity to include as many players as possible, and when you've got a racing game like this, it's sort of a necessity.

There are a whopping 9 tracks to take part in, and that's a huge number considering each one is variably different and provides a unique challenge. But this is Indy racing, so the only thing you're getting is a different amount of tight curves per track. I know nothing about racing, so I can only guess the more turns, the harder the track...right?


Unlike other racers, Danny Sullivan is letting you view the race from the eyes of a blimp or something because it's entirely overhead. It's actually pretty damn unique, and works perfectly for this type of game. Reminds me a bit of Super Off Road racing. Visually, it's not the best looking course, as the graphics are a bit meh. Not to mention the race cars are just different colored wooden soap box cars, right? But, it's different, and it works.

My only other qualm, besides the tiny graphics, is that the game feels a bit slow for a racing game. I mean, technically I guess they are going pretty fast, based on perspective...but...meh I'm just reaching for complaints now. It's actually kind of fun.

Between races you'll have the opportunity to spend your winnings on upgrading your vehicle by buying new wheels, upgrading your engine, etc. Gives you an excuse to finish first, besides not wanting to be a loser.


Ya know what? I won't lie..I actually liked this game. For a racing game on the NES it was pretty damn entertaining, and I am all gung ho for the four-player capability. Unfortunately, I'd never be able to find four people to play this with me because every one of my friends except one hates racing.

If you're looking for a racing game for the NES that's actually the closest thing you'll get to a well rounded Indy experience, well look no further. You've got it right here. Thanks Danny Sullivan..whoever you are!

Final Score (out of 5) :




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment