Thursday, July 10, 2014

Nerdicus SNES Review #28 : Bazooka Blitzkrieg


Title : Bazooka Blitzkrieg

Publisher : Bandai

Genre : Arcade Shooter

Players : 1 - 4 Players

Release Date : 1992

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $10-$15

A few weeks ago, I had reviewed my first Super Scope game for the SNES, Battle Clash. Despite my hatred for the Super Scope games in general, I actually had a good time blasting away at gigantic robotic mechs in a strategic shoot 'em up. Unfortunately, it looks as if my pleasure in the Super Scope is going to shift right back to the negative.

I give you, Bazooka Blitzkrieg.

We've got robots again, and we've got another shooter but this one leans more toward the traditional arcade side scrolling shooter you probably played before. But this one...well....it's the closest equivalent to garbage you're going to get for a Super Scope game.

This is going to be a quickie, because quite frankly, I hated this game.


Remember back in the day when I reviewed BAYOU BILLY for the NES? Well, take the shooting portion of that game, and just throw some washed out "slightly better" graphics on top of it, and you've got Bazooka Blitzkrieg. Oh, and robots. Can't forget the poorly designed robots.

The game screen moves from left to right (you don't control anything), and your task is to just blast every robot that appears on the screen. Shoot at some power ups to get some weapon ugprades, or recover some lost health, but that's about it. It's the same concept each level, at a snails pace. The screen crawls from one side to the other, and I feel like half the time I'm just waiting for enemies to show up. Even when they do show up, it doesn't feel very threatening or intense. A few clicks of my super scope, and their dead. 

Going back to the speed of the game, even the levels that are supposed to be fast moving, still feel slow. Maybe it's because the enemies just sit there, and don't really do a good job at dodging your own attacks. They just pop up, and boom, shoot 'em. 



Let's talk about shooting the enemies. That is, if I calibrated my super scope right in the first place and I can actually aim. Super Scope was notorious for having shoddy aim. For me anyway. I probably just suck at these type of shooters, but I'll still blame the Super Scope.

At the end of levels, you'll encounter bosses, were are just more uninspired robots. Usually tanks, or choppers or something. Just rapid fire your way through them, and move on to the next level.

Seriously though, the designs could have been done a lot better if the color schemes were chosen a bit better. The washed out art just annoyed the crap out of me.


I can't understand why I had so many issues with this game. Maybe because it was slow, and dragged on forever. Maybe because the artwork and the backgrounds were just copy / pasted with new colors on top. Maybe because it was so incredibly easy. Maybe it's because the sound effects sounded like they were from the Atari 2600.

That's a lot of maybes...and when you're already trying to impress someone who hates the Super Scope, that's not going to get you very far. Who knows though, maybe you'll enjoy this game, but if you're looking for a LEGIT Super Scope shooter, go play Battle Clash.

Final Score (out of 5) :


Until next time, keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment