Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Nerdicus NES Review #83 : Big Foot


Title : Big Foot

Publisher : Acclaim

Genre : Racing

Players : 1 / 2 Player

Release Date : 1990

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $5-$10

Monster Trucks always confused me. Was it racing? Was it demolition derby? Was it just riders with male insecurities they needed to drive around in massive trucks to compensate for something else? I really think the only thing I owned that was monster truck related when I was a kid was a POG SLAMMER with BIGFOOT on it. 

Even if you don't know much about Monster Trucks, you probably heard of BIG FOOT once or twice in your lifetime. It's kind of hard not to. I mean they had TV shows and cartoons based around this famous monster truck. Don't get me wrong, I'd kill to ride around in one, but I guess the closest thing we got back then was an NES game.

Hmm...an NES game about Monster Trucks? This can either be a lot of fun, or a complete mess. Let's find out. 

Side note though - I think it's hysterical how the lights on top of BIG FOOT look like little people. Sorry..I've been laughing about it for literally 10 minutes now.


The goal of this game is to compete as BigFoot in a cross country rally race. Each course you participate in has a series of monster truck styled obstacles such as car crushing, gigantic jumps, sloshing your way through swampy mud water, and slamming head first into trees only to watch your truck explode.

I'll tell you this, controlling your truck in this game is as random as anything. I feel like it was flying across the screen every time it knocked into something, and don't even get me started on what happens when the other car collides into you. It was like a freaking pinball machine watching this monster truck race game in action. 

At some point I even put down the controller and watched as my truck was forcibly moved up the race track bc my opponent was beating me so much. 


So as your driving across the course, you're supposed to take as little damage as possible while collecting money and, I don't know what they are..tools? powerups? Who the hell knows. Anyway, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. You're just driving around with no control and the only time I ever collected anything was by complete accident.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the music and sound effects. It's jarring to the point where my ears were beginning to bleed. Random chip tune sound blips every other second do nothing but irritate you. Graphically, what can I say? It's not horrible? It's not good either....just watch when your car explodes. It's classic lazy animation.

And besides the over head races that you can't figure out how to control, you also have the side scrolling races where you have to mash left and right on your control stick to somehow move your car. Like that makes sense. It's like those horrible olympic games.


What can I say? This game needs to be crushed under the real big foot and left to rot away in some garbage dump. One of the worst games I've experienced so far. No wonder I never wanted to go to a Monster Truck Rally.

Final Score (out of 5) :




Until next time. Keep on gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment