Thursday, March 27, 2014

Nerdicus SNES Review #11 : Adventures of Kid Kleets (Soccer Kid)



Title : Adventures of Kid Kleets

Publisher : Ocean

Genre : Platformer

Players : 1 Player

Release Date : 1993

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $15-$20

You know, I just recently got over playing Dr. Franken, so I really wasn't in the mood to play another experimental platformer. But, hell, it's my job. At least this one doesn't involving dismembering my girlfriend.

This game was released in Japan as SOCCER KID, but over in the states it's known as the ADVENTURES OF KID KLEETS. I don't know, I didn't see what was wrong with Soccer Kid, but I'll roll with it. 


So you're a soccer player, obviously, and it's up to you to find the world cup which was stolen by Alien pirates. I'm sorry, but that's hilarious. Seriously, I don't think Alien pirates would be interested in stealing the world cup of soccer. So they steal it and break it into a bunch of pieces and it's up to you to find them. You're tasked with scouring various countries, kicking soccer balls in the faces of robots, criminals, animals, and other weird enemies that you would never encounter in real life. 

Okay, so soccer.....as a platformer.....um, I don't see where this is going, but okay. What the hell, let's give it a shot.


As you would expect, this platform is as typical as they come. There's nothing crazy about it to make it stand out besides the fact that a soccer ball is your main weapon. The interesting part is, you can lose your soccer ball and you'll have to summon another one at the end of the stage.

The kid is a damn pro though since he can dribble this soccer ball through all sorts of obstacles and barely lose it. I only lost it when I kick it over enemies and it clears past the screen.

It is quite satisfying kicking soccer balls in people's faces, so I'll give this game that. But that's about all that's rewarding about it. It's nice that you can perform some signature movies like a butterfly kick, but the overall platform formula is something that hasn't been changed. You perform tricky jumps, collect bizarre items to build up points throughout the stage, and you just beat each level until you fight a boss and move on to the next country.


Visually the game is, pretty? I mean the colors are vibrant and the graphics are decent enough for a cartoony styled platformer. Music and sound effects are also somewhat decent, but once again nothing revolutionary here. The comical atmosphere was the only thing that kept me going for the first few levels.

Do you know what it reminded me of? The Japanese SNES version of BACK TO THE FUTURE. But that game was good......

Where this game really failed was the way this game handles. When you get to the edge of the screen it practically gives you whiplash as to how fast it moves to the next portion. I was seriously getting nauseous at one point trying to move back and forth through different areas. Not to mention your character moves WAY too fast. Yes, that's right. It's not good fast, like Sonic. This is bad. Bad Fast. 


Like I said, the soccer gimmick works. But only so much. It lost it's appeal as soon as I was done with the first level, and then the frustration just continued to mount. It's not the worst platformer I've played, but it's definitely nowhere near being the best.

If you want a soccer game, stick with Fifa.

Final Score (out of 5) :


Until next time. Keep on Gaming!

0 comments:

Post a Comment