Friday, August 29, 2014

Nerdicus SNES Review #37: Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure



Title : Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure

Publisher : Interplay

Developer : Interplay

Genre : Platformer

Players : 1 Player

Release Date : 1995

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $30-$35

Before I even get started on my review, let me just point you in the direction of the sidebar where I have recently added a YOUTUBE button (or you can just click on the link HERE). That's right, I'm dabbling in some youtube videos now. I'll be airing my retro hauls, as well as my twitch stream live plays of retro games. Hope you enjoy...now on to the review at hand.

Have you ever gotten caught picking your nose at work, at school, or while driving in your car? Well, don't feel bad about it, because picking your nose has been glorified in a video game. I mean, what other name can you play as a bum with a five o'clock shadow who destroys his enemies by farting and flinging boogers. Why, only Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure of course!

Alright, alright. It's impossible to resist playing a game with that type of title. Especially when you're young and immature. And the box art makes it look like it was some 90's Nickelodeon cartoon. In fact, making a TV show out of this probably would have been a good idea. I could picture it as a Saturday Morning cartoon, and I wouldn't mind eating my pop-tarts while I watched this. It wouldn't gross me out. Not one bit. I eat boogers for breakfast....used to...USED TO.

You know, I never knew it was a given that eccentric millionaires have alter-egos. In this case, Snotty Ragsdale. Come on...SNOTTY RAGSDALE. Who WOULDN'T want to play a game where you play as SNOTTY RAGSDALE. They really know how to reel a kid in with idiotic names and premises. Boogers and farts galore.
In a time where platformers were over-saturated, it was at least refreshing to get a unique take on them. Most of the times, it was just an introduction of a new potential mascot, but the only ones that really hit it off with me were Earthworm Jim and this guy right here..Boogerman. I guess I'm just a sucker for immature humor, eh? Too bad these Boogers feel a little bit flat...but whatever, let's see if your mind has changed over the years.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some buried treasure to dig for...


Let me just say that if your mucus is ever that shade of bright green, go see a doctor. You must have exposed to yourself to some sort of radiated chemicals, because it should NEVER look like that. And who used to pick their nose and wipe it under your desk at school? Don't lie. I know you did.

Boogerman is as simple as a platforming adventure gets. It's all the traditional elements, with a booger mask on top. Your attacks consist of farting, burping and flinging boogers as ammunition. Yes, you can run out of boogers. Basically, just think of every immature scenario possible and that's Boogerman. Poop Jokes. Fart Jokes. You name it. It's all here.

There's a whopping 20 levels in this game, so you'll have your work cut out for you. They aren't easy, and can be downright annoying. But it's the same as if you've played any other platformer before. Jump around. Collect items. Kill monsters. Solve puzzles. Rinse and repeat over the 20 levels, with the occasional boss, and that's about it. Unfortunately, that gets boring pretty fast.


Bosses were probably the most enjoyable part of the game, although they were a tad difficult. At least it provides a bit of fresh air (ironic in a game with farts) after trudging through a long platforming level. Bonus stages were entertaining as well, where you just fart with unlimited gas and collect points. I admit it, I chuckled a few times. Not sure why, maybe I was tired while playing this again.

What this game REALLY has going for it, is the visuals. The game is actually quite pretty, for a game focusing on boogers. The animations are insanely fluid on both the MC and the enemies you face. It really feels like you're playing a cartoon.

The enemy designs are also pretty creative, and the backdrops feel very organic. I was actually pleasantly surprised that everything was done so well. Just take a look at the graphic for your booger ammunition. I mean, come on. It's a finger pulling out a long snot wad. HA!


It's a game focusing on farts and snot. It's immature, and it's pretty un-revolutionary for a platofrming game. Besides the gimmick of horrible humor, it really doesn't do much to impress me. It's enjoyable for a few laughs, and one play through, but after that, I just can't say I want to go back to it.

Still, who else can say that they made a game about a guy named Boogerman other than Interplay. Good on you.

Final Score (out of 5) :


Until next time, keep on gaming!


0 comments:

Post a Comment